Sunday, June 16, 2013

The side-view mirror



 It was a typical  Thursday morning and I found myself stuck in traffic. Sitting in the drivers seat eagerly looking on with no power to speed up the situation, I felt so helpless. It is at times like these that I wonder when the first flying car is going to be invented. I begin day dreaming  about that concept and wonder  whether or not flying cars would  remove the nuisance of traffic . Whiles deep in thought, I am abruptly brought back to consciousness by the loud horn of an adjacent driver signaling for the car ahead to move, if even for a couple inches. I sigh, the universal sign of a frustrated driver, I smile to myself.

A couple of minutes pass by and  I catch myself this time staring at the side-view mirror of my car and notice the sprawling lines of vehicles behind me. I fixate on that for a while and as if caught in a trance it dawns on me how the side-view mirror , the traffic and road are all metaphors for life. 

Life is like an open road with detours, road blocks , traffic and subject to the elements.  There are days when you feel really in control and everything seems to go on smoothly as planned. Your GPS is humming along nicely, the radio is playing your favorite tunes and you're not missing any of your exits.  There are also days when you are stuck in traffic and all you can do is sit pretty , remain hopeful and wait. At times like these listening to your favorite radio station helps or perhaps a playlist or an audiotape. Fussing and fuming doesn't make the cars ahead of you  move any quicker ( It just probably affects your blood pressure ).

That can also be said about life when you are stuck in a rut. You can fuss or fume and be impatient with the situation or adopt a positive outlook and make the best you can with where you are. It always isn't easy to do but once you begin to practice this habit, it sticks with you and becomes a part of your nature.

The side-view mirror showed how many cars were behind me and how far I had traversed. In relation to life, it is similar to fixating or constantly looking back at past problems instead of looking forward positively to future adventures. You are in the drivers seat and it is your choice to use past failures or troubles as a heavy baggage which constantly wears you down, or as a form of motivation showing how close you are to your destination because you chose not to give up.

I hope this first entry  inspires you to not give up on life or your dreams for that matter  but to adopt a resilient and positive outlook towards it. Please feel free to comment ,subscribe and share.

Till my next entry, Peace and Much Love to you!



14 comments:

  1. This is a nice write up, it totally involves the reader and makes you think deeper as to if you will keep looking behind in life or move forward. Good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Voice of Africa Women. I will be supporting your blog as well

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you Edem K. I appreciate the support !!

      Delete
  3. very inspiring, great piece der...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leslie. Don't forget to Follow via email at the top

      Delete
  4. Sadly, one thing about life is that when people make mistakes, they are often afraid to move forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a very valid point Josef. For those people, I believe it stems from an innate sense to protect themselves from experiencing that painful feeling of failure or mistake. Instead of looking at it with the mindset that this was a learning experience for me and I can get incrementally better the next time, they completely shutdown thus no learning experience attained.

      Delete
  5. Very inspirational, keep it up. Looking forward to reading more post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Nana Akua. I appreciate the support!

      Delete
  6. I love it and looking forward to the future entries. Good Job !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Charlotte. I am excited to write future entries. Thanks for the support!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you Maureen, I appreciate the support!

      Delete